Sun 22 Jul, Holywell Music Room
The oldest custom-built concert hall in Europe, the Holywell Music Room opened its doors to the public for the first time in 1748. Designed by Thomas Camplin, Vice-Principal of St Edmund Hall.The room continued as a concert venue throughout the eighteenth century and until 1836 from which time it was used for a number of other purposes including auctions and exhibitions. By the 1870s it was being used for weekly rehearsals by the Oxford Philharmonic Society and its future as a musical venue was further secured after 1910 when the Oxford University Musical Union obtained the lease on the building. The Holywell was restored and refitted in 1959-60 and since that time has been the location for many hundreds of recitals and concert series featuring prestigious visiting musicians as well as many local groups and student performers.
Facilities: Toilets, Disabled access, No bar
Walking: 10 mins from town centre
From Banbury, by Car: approx. 45 mins. By Bus: S4 to Oxford City Centre. By Train: approx. 30 mins, Cross Country to Bournemouth, Oxford station then 20 min walk to Holywell Street
Matthew Denton: violin, Michelle Fleming: violin, Eoin Schmidt-Martin: viola, Emma Denton: cello Haydn: String Quartet no 2 in C major, op 50 Hob III:45 Pärt: Summa Shostakovich: String Quartet no 8 in C minor, op 110 Oxford Coffee Concert CR
Duration: 1 hour with interval