The oldest custom-built concert hall in Europe, the Holywell Music Room opened its doors to the public for the first time in 1748. Designed by Thomas Camplin, Vice-Principal of St Edmund Hall.The room continued as a concert venue throughout the eighteenth century and until 1836 from which time it was used for a number of other purposes including auctions and exhibitions. By the 1870s it was being used for weekly rehearsals by the Oxford Philharmonic Society and its future as a musical venue was further secured after 1910 when the Oxford University Musical Union obtained the lease on the building. The Holywell was restored and refitted in 1959-60 and since that time has been the location for many hundreds of recitals and concert series featuring prestigious visiting musicians as well as many local groups and student performers.
Facilities: Toilets, Disabled access, No bar